The transfer window for Brazilian clubs to sign foreign based players closed on Thursday night. The window has been dominated by the Carlos Tevez saga and rightly so. But some big names have arrived almost unnoticed. Here they are:
Brazil international striker André signed for Atlético Mineiro from Dynamo Kiev on a one year deal. It looks like a loan deal but apparently Atlético bought 20% of the player’s transfer rights and the remaining 80% are still held by Dynamo Kiev so go figure? He’ll link up with Dorival Junior who he worked with at Santos last year. Flamengo also wanted the player’s signature. It was a frustrating day for them as they also missed out on signing Vágner Love and Kléber. At least they tied up a deal for defender Alex Silva from Hamburger SV.
Another Brazil international striker, Jí´, signed for Internacional on a four year contract from Manchester City. The club from Porto Alegre have also recently signed hot prospect Gilberto and so deemed Rafael Sobis and Fernando Cavenaghi surplus to requirements. Rafael Sobis went to Fluminense on loan. Cavenaghi went to River Plate.
Fluminense signed three players on the transfer deadline day. As well as Rafael Sobis, they picked up hot prospect Manuel Lanzini from River Plate and the much talked about Martinuccio from under the noses of Palmeiras. Palmeiras thought they had signed a pre contract agreement with the player but only prepared the document in Portuguese (they were required to do so in Spanish and English), allowing Fluminense to sneak in and make their move. Martinuccio is a 23 year old Argentine forward who shot to fame this season after his exploits with Peí±arol in the Copa Libertadores. At least Palmeiras re-signed former fans favourite centre back Henrique from Barcelona on a one year deal.
São Paulo football club had a busy few days in the transfer market and signed Argentine midfielder Caí±ete from Universidad Católica in Chile on a three year contract. They also closed deals for Cícero from Wolfsburg, Denilson from Arsenal and Paraguay’s Copa America right back Ivan Piriz from Cerro Porteí±o.
Santos added to their stock of midfielders by signing midfielders Henrique (Cruzeiro) and Ibson (Spartak Moscow). Some other recent signings aren’t as well known but their names are just as interesting: Rychely and Alan Kardec. Henrique was recently called up to the Brazil national team squad and is a talented holding midfielder. At 26 years of age, not really one for the future anymore though. Could the signing of all these midfielders be a sign that Arouca and Danilo are going to be sold? The club have already sold right back Jonathan (Inter Milan) and youngsters Alan Patrick (Dynamo Kiev) and Alex Sandro (Porto).
Apart from all the noise surrounding the possible Tevez transfer, Corinthians had a quiet few days and their only signing of note was left back Ramon from Vasco. They had done most of their business earlier on in the window by signing promising young keeper Renan from Avaí, creative midfielder Alex from Spartak Moscow and forward Emerson from Fluminense.
Some other notable signings that have happened since the end of the European season include former international midfielders Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos to Grêmio), Renato (Sevilla to Botafogo) and Juninho Pernambucano (Al-Gharafa to Vasco).
Clubs can still sell players abroad and buy and sell to local Serie A rivals as long as the player hasn’t made more than seven league appearances.
Here are all the major transfers since the beginning of the year.
Don’t want to miss a post? Sign up for email alerts by entering your email address and hitting subscribe on the top right hand side of this page. Also follow on Facebook and Twitter @brazilfooty.
Palmeiras’ directors are a joke. They always lose great signings to the other clubs (e.g. Ilsinho, Thiago Neves, Martinuccio). I guess they sign pre-contracts and think it is irrevocable, so when other clubs come with better salaries, the players just throw it in the garbage.